ICF - Insulated Concrete Forms / Compound ICF
We are RASTRA, and we produce a high quality building system from recycled foam plastics. We pioneered the insulated concrete form (ICF) industry and invented and developed the Compound ICF (ICCF). RASTRA is the solution for this century to build environmentally conscious, energy-efficient buildings that provide a safe and healthy living environment.
Over 9 million units in service worldwide since 1972.
We did not inherit the Earth from our parents. We are borrowing it from our childre.
Insulated Concrete Forms (ICFs) are formwork for concrete that stays in place as permanent building insulation for energy-efficient, cast-in-place, reinforced concrete walls, floors, and roofs.
RASTRA Compound Insulated Concrete Forms (ICCF’s) are recognized as the ultimate building solution for economical and environmentally-friendly construction.
The insulated concrete forms are modular units that are dry-stacked (without mortar) and filled with concrete. The insulated concrete forms lock are put together somewhat like Lego® bricks and serve to create a form for the structural walls of a building. Concrete is filled into the cavity to form the structural element of the walls. Usually reinforcing steel (rebar) is added before concrete placement to give the resulting walls flexural strength, similar to bridges and high-rise buildings made of concrete. The most insulated concrete forms (made of EPS = expanded polystyrene) are filled with concrete in 1-4 foot "lifts" to reduce the risk of blowouts like with other concrete formwork, however RASTRA invented the Composite Insulated Concrete Forms (ICCF). The ICCF’s are strong enough that walls are filled at story-height (10 to 12 feet) in one lift. After the concrete has cured, or firmed up, the insulated concrete forms are left in place permanently for the following reasons:
- Thermal and acoustic insulation
- Space to run electrical conduit and plumbing. The wall material on either side of the forms can easily accommodate electrical and plumbing installations.
- Backing for gypsum boards on the interior and stucco, brick, or other siding on the exterior
RASTRA : The Original Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF)
The common insulated concrete forms are made of foam insulation - expanded polystyrene (EPS), and are pre-formed interlocking blocks connected with steel connectors.
However, Rastra insulated concrete forms and stay-in-place system is made of a lightweight composite material called THASTYRON, produced with 85% recycled expanded polystyrene (Styrofoam) and 15% cement.
RASTRA is the most extensively tested Insulated Concrete Forms available today. While copycat Insulated Concrete Forms exist, these products did not undergo the rigorous testing, lack approvals and decades of experience in process and application.
Compound Insulated Concrete Forms (ICCF’s) Benefits
- RASTRA is a stay-in-place Insulated Concrete Form (ICF) System that is structurally strong. RASTRA Insulated concrete forms' strength is up to 700% stronger than wood frame walls.
- RASTRA Insulated concrete forms are energy-efficient decreasing energy consumption by up to and above 50%.
- RASTRA Insulated concrete forms are sound absorbent.
- RASTRA Insulated concrete forms are Non-combustible.
- RASTRA Insulated concrete forms are resistant to high wind, hurricanes and tornados, earthquakes,
- RASTRA Insulated concrete forms are not attacked by rodents and insects and do not mold,
- RASTRA Insulated concrete forms are made from 85% recycled materials.
- RASTRA Insulated concrete forms are 100% recyclable.
- The production of RASTRA Insulated concrete forms is considered to be ecologically-clean.
- RASTRA Insulated concrete forms provides an almost limitless service life.
- RASTRA Insulated concrete forms provides the lowest cost-of-ownership available.
Insulated concrete forms advantages compared to traditional building materials, especially in residential and light commercial construction:
- Minimal, if any, air leaks, which improves comfort and less heat loss compared in with walls without an air barrier
- Thermal resistance (R-value) above 3 K·m²/W (in American customary units: R-17) not changing over the lifespan; this results in permanent saving energy compared with uninsulated masonry
- High sound absorption, which helps produce peace and quiet compared with framed walls
- Structural integrity for better resistance to forces of nature, compared with framed walls
- Higher resale value due to longevity of materials
- More insect resistant than wood frame construction
- When the building is constructed on a concrete slab, the walls and floors form one continuous surface; this keeps out insects and rodents.
- Concrete does not rot when it gets wet
- Reduces HVAC operating costs from 30%-70%
- Construction methods are easy to learn, and Rastra has training available
- ICF structures are much more comfortable, quiet, and energy-efficient than those built with traditional construction methods.
- Designing and Building with ICFs help your construction project attain Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building status.
Insulated Concrete Forms create a monolithic concrete wall that is 10 times stronger than wood framed structures.
“Cost - Depending on design, an average home will cost about five dollars per square foot more than a conventional wood built home. This usually amounts to about 5% of the cost of the wall. For high-end wood homes this percentage decreases to about 2% or 3%. For high-end homes constructed of concrete the insulated concrete form solution is usually less expensive.”
Compound Insulated Concrete Forms Applications
The strength and flexibility of RASTRA insulated concrete forms makes it the ideal building solution for single and, multi-family homes, industrial and commercial projects of all sizes.
- Single Family Homes
- Multi-Family : Townhouses, condominiums, apartments and hotels
- Commercial : for hotels and motels, retail and professional buildings, warehouses, cold storage, schools and churches, theaters, and others
Building with RASTRA insulated concrete forms protects homeowners by exceeding any new energy standard.
Building with RASTRA Insulated Concrete Forms provides the best opportunity for a maximized return-on-investment.
As you would expect, when its time to sell, RASTRA insulated concrete forms homes consistently demand higher resale values. According to The National Association of Realtors, for every $1 savings in annual energy costs, home values increase by an average of $20.
Print this page