Fire protection

One of the most devastating disasters anyone can experience is a fire. A small spark can ignite into a full-scale fire in just minutes. Unfortunately, wood frame construction ensures the fire has plenty of fuel. Remove the fuel and the fire's potential is minimized. When an independent testing lab exposed an un-plastered RASTRA wall to 2000ºF flames for 5 hours, the opposite side of the panel increased in temperature by only 7º F, with no ignition and no airborne toxin or smoke developments.

RASTRA uses a mixture of cement and recycled polystyrene, which is used as a spacer in the cellular lightweight concrete. While plastic materials are sometimes seen as a hazard to health when burned, this is not the case with polystyrene. In fact, polystyrene is entirely free of CFCs. Styrene is a hexacyclic molecule that is composed of carbon and hydrogen.

Rastra

In the event of a fire, the hydrogen oxidizes into water vapor. Carbon is set free and a minimum amount of carbon dioxide would be present. In a fire, no health hazard whatsoever is caused by the presence of polystyrene. In fact, fumes created by burning wood are far more toxic.

Print this page Print this page